Last Updated on January 11, 2022
Thinx Underwear has the perfect period panties for you, regardless of your flow! Thinx has so many styles to choose from and this period panties review will have you feeling confident in bring protected.
I’ve been wearing Thinx for almost five years now and they’re one of my favorite zero waste swaps I’ve ever made!
Thinx period underwear is comfortable, comes in a variety of styles, and is an environmentally friendly alternative to traditional period products. We will explain how period underwear works, how often to change it, and how to clean it. Additionally, they offer a teen and preteen line as well as a line specifically for bladder incontinence.
period panties review
Each pair of Thinx is perfect for a different day, a different flow, and a different fit! It may be difficult to know which pairs will work for you. Thankfully, I’ve done all of the hard work for you. I tried every single different type of Thinx period panties and ranked them in 5 different categories.
- How much liquid does it hold
- What day of my period that I wear it on
- How well I think it works
- The fit/comfort
If video is more your speed, I review them on YouTube and have embedded the video below. Make sure that you subscribe to my channel for the latest going zero waste tips.
Give yourself a pick me up with these 10 Ways to Take Care of Yourself When You’re on Your Period.
discount code for thinx underwear
I am Thinx Leader which means I have a discount code so you can get $10 off if you use this link. Saving money is always a win!
If you use the code/link, I receive a small commission but have bought all of these pairs except for the super hiphugger which was gifted. All of the opinions you will see are my own.
how does period underwear work?
Thinx period panties are designed to keep you feeling fresh and dry while remaining comfortable. They have built-in protection and you wear them just like normal underwear. You can wear them alone or with a menstrual cup or tampon. They can be washed and reused and if taken care of properly, they have a long lifespan.
Additionally, they have a leak-resistant barrier so you can face the day with confidence and say goodbye to leaks!
thinx review | super hiphugger:
- is this style one of your favorites? I feel indifferent.
- how much does it hold? Thinx super hiphugger holds 4 regular tampons worth of blood.
- what day do you wear it on your period? I only wear on Day 1.
- how well does it work? They work very well, and absorb a lot of liquid. I am never worried about leaking while wearing the supers. Most of Thinx’s underwear are meant to be worn as backup, but this pair is mean to be used alone without anything else.
- how does the super hiphugger style of Thinx fit? These are quite a bit bulkier in the gusset than the other pairs but still very comfortable
/ SHOP SUPER HIPHUGGERS /
thinx period underwear review | hiphugger:
- is this style one of your favorites? LOVE. THEM. One of my favorite pairs.
- how much does it hold? Thinx hiphugger’s hold 2 tampons worth of blood.
- what day do you wear it on your period? I typically wear these on days 2-7.
- how well does it work? According to the website, these are meant to be used as backup to something like a menstrual cup or a tampon, but I wear them by themselves for years and have never had a problem.
- how does the super hiphugger style of Thinx fit? Very slim, lots of colors and the best part about the colored undies is that they’re lined with black so you don’t have to worry about staining or at least seeing the stains on the inside. Occasionally they cut in a little at the thighs, but it’s not so bad that I’ve stopped wearing them.
/ SHOP HIPHUGGERS /
- is this style one of your favorites? I like this style, but I would go as far as calling it a favorite.
- how much does it hold? Thinx sport holds 1.5 tampons worth of blood.
- what day do you wear it on your period? I typically wear days 4-7.
- how well does it work? I think they work well, I’ve had my sports for almost for the longest and they’ve held up brilliantly over these last 4+ years.
- how does the sport style of Thinx fit? They fit well, but they’re definitely a little cheeky. Not as cheeky as the cheeky’s, but cheeky none-the-less. I really like how slim they are and it’s nice to switch up for some without the lace on top.
/ SHOP SPORT /
thinx panties review | hi-waist:
- is this style one of your favorites? Absolutely one of my favorites! They’re the undies that I like to sit on the couch with, binge watch Netflix, and eat chocolate…. I really want to write a blog post about ethical and sustainable chocolate! (but really it’s just an excuse to eat chocolate…..)
- how much does it hold? Thinx hi-waist holds 2 tampons worth of blood.
- what day do you wear it on your period? I typically wear days 1-7
- how well does it work? I think they work really well, and probably one of the sexiest pairs of undies I own.
- how does the hi-waist style of Thinx fit? They are VERY high-waisted. I wear a lot of high-waisted pants and these still poke out the top of my pants so I tend to wear them with dresses.
/ SHOP HI-WAIST /
thinx review | boyshort:
- is this style one of your favorites? Yes! I really like this style to wear under dresses and to bed.
- how much does it hold? Thinx boyshort holds 2 tampons worth of blood.
- what day do you wear it on your period? I typically wear days 1-7.
- how well does it work? These work really well, and I feel extra snug since they’re longer in the legs and wrap all the way around my body. They really remind me of a few pairs of hot pants I had from dance class. All I need is a pair of paws and I’m ready for a modern solo.
- how does the boyshort style of Thinx fit? I’m normally very hesitant about boy shorts because I tend to get a wedgie, but these are a bit longer so they don’t ride up. I honestly, wish that they had ONE extra inch of fabric on the legs so I could wear them with dresses to prevent chaffing where my thighs touch. Depending on how tall/short you are they might prevent chaffing, but I’m a little too tall I think. For reference, I’m 5’8″.
/ SHOP BOYSHORT /
If you’re interested in ordering a pair, don’t forget you can use this link to GET $10 OFF your Thinx order!
thinx period underwear review | cheeky:
- is this style one of your favorites? Nooooooo. These are my least favorite!
- how much does it hold? Thinx cheeky holds 1 tampon worth of blood.
- what day do you wear it on your period? I typically wear on days 4-7 when they’re the only pairs I have left to wear…
- how well does it work? They work ok. I’m not a big fan of cheeky anything, but when Thinx first started (I’ve been a fan for SO long!) They only had four options. I’ve found the width of the gusset to be much skinnier than other options.
- how does the cheeky style of Thinx fit? These are VERY cheeky… almost uncomfortably cheeky for me. I have a very round booty and cheeky things have never been my style, so I’m not sure why I thought it would be any different with these. However, if you like cheeky undies then you’d probably like these.
/ SHOP CHEEKY /
thinx review | thong:
- is this style one of your favorites? YES. YES. YES.
- how much does it hold? Thinx thongs holds 1/2 a tampon worth of blood.
- what day do you wear it on your period? Day 7 and pretty much any time that I’m wearing light-colored clothes that show panty lines.
- how well does it work? To be honest, I wouldn’t wear these on any day beyond just spotting especially if you’re a back bleeder!
- how does the thong style of Thinx fit? I love these, I own 10 pairs and LOVE that they offer them in beige. I wear these as my favorite thongs. It’s so nice to know that if I randomly spot and I’m wearing white pants, that I’m completely covered. I think they’re so, so comfortable.
/ SHOP THONGS /
thinx panties review | air:
- is this style one of your favorites? Yep!
- how much does it hold? Thinx Air holds 1.5 tampons worth of blood.
- what day do you wear it on your period? I typically wear these Days 4-7
- how well does it work? They work really well, but honestly would only wear them towards the end of my period they’re so thin it makes me a bit nervous.
- how does the air style of Thinx fit? I love how breezy they are. They’re great for wicking moisture and are very, very light and a bit stretchier than other pairs. If you want a pair that offers fuller coverage and doesn’t have hard panty lines – this is the pair for you!
/ SHOP AIR /
thinx panties review | organic cotton briefs:
- is this style one of your favorites? I like these, but wouldn’t go as far as favorite.
- how much does it hold? Thinx organic cotton briefs holds 2 tampons worth of blood.
- what day do you wear it on your period? I typically wear these Days 1-7
- how well does it work? They work really well, I like the thicker gussets in the organic cotton styles.
- how does the organic cotton style of Thinx fit? These are one of the most comfortable pairs of undies I own. They’re very breathable. They’re a bit thicker but also softer they’re very similar to the BTWN.
/ SHOP ORGANIC COTTON BRIEFS /
thinx btwn period panties review | organic cotton brief:
- is this style one of your favorites? LOVE THESE!
- how much does it hold? Thinx organic cotton briefs holds 3 teaspoons – which is about the equivalent of 4 tampons worth of blood.
- what day do you wear it on your period? I typically wear these Days 1-7
- how well does it work? These are one of the most comfortable pairs of undies I own – period. They are a little thicker in the gusset, but they’re all organic cotton. But, the main reason I love them is that they’re quite a bit cheaper. You can get 3 pairs for under $50 with my discount code.
- how does the organic cotton style of Thinx fit? I wear M in the adult and wear 15/16 in the tween. They can be a little tight in the thighs depending on how bloated I am, but they’re still my favs.
/ SHOP BTWN /
period underwear for teens and pre-teens
Geared towards teens and pre-teens, the btwn collection has many colors, styles, and fits to choose from. Your teens will love them plus, they are affordable and won’t break the bank.
can you wear them for bladder leakage?
Yes, while you can wear them for bladder leaking, you will be glad to know that they have an entire line dedicated to bladder incontinence. Speax not only works for periods and bladder leakage, but they are so comfortable! They’re quickly becoming one of my all time FAVORITES to wear and I’m obsessed with the french cut!
how often do you change period underwear?
You can typically wear Thinx underwear for 24 hours, just like you do for your normal underwear. On extremely heavy days do you may need to change once every 12 hours.
how do you wash your period undies?
Rinse them with cold water until the water runs clear, then ring them out. Hang them up to let them dry. Once they have dried out you can wash them in the washing machine using cold water. You can either hang them up to dry or place them in the sun so they dry faster.
do they smell bad?
After you wear the period underwear for several hours, you will notice an odor that smells like any other period product after use. This is normal, and just part of having a period. If it bothers you, you can simply change them.
do thinx feel wet?
No, they have a protective barrier that will keep you feeling dry all day. They are so dry and comfortable that you may even forget you are on your period!