8 Cozy Warm Drinks
Plant Based Recipes
October 29, 2019 | Kathryn Kellogg
Last Updated on December 1, 2022
We have a list of the ultimate best warm drinks of the season! They are perfect for sipping on with friends and family or after a long day.
Drinking a hot beverage will warm you up from the inside out! Plus, these warm fall drinks taste great and are reasonably healthy too. Check out this list of hot drinks for inspiration this season.
warm drinks and marshmallows
If you’ve been following me on Instagram for any period of time, then you know the ONE item I so desperately wish I could find in the bulk bins….
Any other marshmallow fans in the house?
I am a HUGE fan of s’mores. I mean – is there really anything better than a freshly toasted, ooey-gooey marshmallow paired with creamy melted chocolate and a crisp graham cracker?
Nope, I don’t think so.
Making your own marshmallows means you can add them too all of your favorite warm fall drinks for an extra special treat. And let me tell you…they are INSANELY good!
For years, people have been telling me, “Marshmallows are so EASY to make at home!”
I didn’t believe those people. I thought they were lying to me. But after finally finding the courage to make a batch at home, with confidence, I can report – they were right.
homemade marshmallows for your hot drinks
Making homemade marshmallows was pretty gosh-darn easy. Once I found out that Further Food started offering gelatin, it became a no brainer.
I am a huge fan of Further Food! I first heard about them when I started taking collagen about a year ago.
Further Food is a woman-owned and operated company right here in San Francisco, and a portion of each sale goes to chronic illness and healthy eating programs.
You know how much I love companies that give back!
When Further Food started making gelatin – I leaped at the chance to finally give homemade marshmallows a try. I was not disappointed!
My hot chocolate game is going to be ON POINT this winter. It’s legit my favorite hot beverage right now.
All I need to do is master the homemade graham cracker, and I’m one step closer to s’mores.
I like Further Food because they use 100% recycled plastic #2 for their bottles which reduces the overall carbon footprint by 78%.
Using the recycled content uses 90% less energy, and it’s pure plastic (not a mix!) so it can be recycled again and again.
Plastic #2 has a great domestic market in the states so you can feel good about the material you’re choosing.
You can get 15% off your Further Food purchase with the code GOINGZEROWASTE.
This hot chocolate is so rich and creamy, thanks to the collagen! I snuggled up with a big cup under a blanket while watching a movie last weekend, and it was sheer heaven.
hot drink recipes
Grab your favorite mug and get busy making a hot beverage to sip on. I promise you won’t regret it.
1. hot chocolate:
Makes 1 Cup
- 1 cup homemade cashew milk (coconut works really well here too!)
- 1 tablespoon Further Food Chocolate Collagen
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of maple syrup to taste
- 1 marshmallow
- Warm the milk in a saucepan
- Add Chocolate Collagen and cocoa powder
- Whisk to remove any clumps
- Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract
- Let it simmer for a minute
- Pour into a mug
- Top with a marshmallow
I thought making marshmallows was going to be a really long and laborious process, but it was actually VERY easy! Surprisingly easy.
I am going to be making all sorts of marshmallow treats this winter! Add them to your favorite hot drink or eat them as is.
Makes 24 Large Marshmallows
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Further Foods Premium Gelatin Powder
- 1 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Line a 9×13 cookie sheet with a reusable silicone mat and set it aside.
- Lightly whisk the gelatin powder and 1/2 cup water in a large mixing bowl or the base of your stand mixer
- Place 1/2 cup water the maple syrup or honey and salt in a saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a rolling boil for about 5 minutes and remove from the heat
- Whisk the gelatin and water mixture on low while slowly adding in the syrup
- Once all of the syrup is combined slowly increase the speed to high and whip for 5-10 minutes
- The mixture will more than double in size and look like a medium whipped cream
- Spread the marshmallow cream out onto the cookie sheet with a spatula
- Leave the marshmallows out to set for 6-8 hours or overnight. (Do NOT place the marshmallows in the fridge! Moisture will dissolve them)
- Cut your marshmallows
- OPTIONAL! Dust them on all sides to prevent sticking. I used powdered sugar
Store the homemade marshmallows in a sealed container in your pantry. They’re good for up to a week.
I love, love matcha! Adding in a bit of white chocolate makes it an extra special treat.
If you’re feeling especially festive, consider adding in a drop of peppermint extract.
2. white chocolate matcha:
Makes 1 Mug
- 1 cup of cashew milk
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 squares of white chocolate chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of Further Food matcha powder
- Heat the milk and water in a small saucepan it should be hot but not boiling!
- Add the chopped white chocolate.
- Stir until the chocolate is completely melted
- Add the vanilla (and optional peppermint extract)
- Stir to combine
- Add the matcha powder
- Whisk or use an immersion blender to remove all of the matcha clumps
- Pour into your mug and enjoy!
This is one of my favorite healthy warm drinks. It’s extra easy and one of my favorite drinks on cold mornings. Golden milk is made with turmeric, so it’s a great immune system booster and helps to reduce inflammation.
3. golden milk:
Makes 1 Mug
- 1 cup coconut milk or non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Tonic
- Heat milk over medium heat
- Add in the Turmeric Tonic
- Whisk together
- Enjoy your hot drink!
5 other warm drinks worth trying!
- hot cocoa with vegan marshmallow fluff
- pumpkin spice latte with homemade oat milk
- hot mulled apple cider made with fresh apples
- chai latte with coconut whipped cream
- classic and simple vegan eggnog
frequently asked questions
how do you keep hot drinks hot longer?
Add some insulation by wrapping your mug with a piece of fabric or scarf. It will keep your warm fall drinks hot longer. You can also warm your mug up with some hot water before you add your hot beverage.
can I add spices to my hot drink?
Yes, of course! Feel free to add a dash of cinnamon, nutmeg, or your favorite spice. It not only adds flavor but gives your hot drinks a fancy look, as you would find in a coffee shop.
What are your favorite warm fall drinks for the cold season? If you’re interested in trying any of the Further Food products don’t forget you can get 15% off your purchase with the code GOINGZEROWASTE.
Wow, never thought of making my own marshmallows. Some really interesting recipes here. I love hot chocolate and the white chocolate matcha sounds delicious too
Gelatin is an absolute no go but most drinks sound nice.
I thought you were vegetarian? I’m not, so I don’t mind the recipes but it looks like the rest of it tried to be plant-based so it might be misleading to readers to use gelatin and collagen if they aren’t familiar with the source of the products.
I understand the need to make a living, but it still feels a bit contrary for a zero waste blog to promote the sale of products, especially plastic products (regardless of their reusability/recyclability). I worry that, because your blog is the number one result when searching for zero waste, that folks new to the ZWM will get mixed messages. Anyway, I appreciate all that you already do, and this is just my perspective (one of which I’m sure you’ve already considered).
HI Kathryn! Just wondering – is the gelatin for the marshmallows vegan? I tried vegan gelatin (seaweed) but it didn’t work. Any tips or tricks? I, myself am not vegan, but tried to make some at Easter for my homemade low-waste rockyroad Easter treats. (Note: don’t pore hot liquidy chocolate over marshmallows!)