Last Updated on March 31, 2022
Warm up to a big bowl of this Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup! This creamy soup is made with fresh broccoli, homemade vegan cheese, lots of veggies, and it is seasoned to perfection.
When you’re chilled to the bone, nothing quite says, “Let me warm you up,” like a big snuggly bowl of warm, creamy broccoli soup. And, fresh baked rolls. Mmmmm.
While typical creamy soups are delicious, they’re not exactly health food. I did the calorie calculations, and I was pretty shocked.
Homemade, dairy packed, creamy broccoli soup is approximately 575 calories! However, my broccoli soup recipe is 265 a serving and just as delicious. It’s also full of vitamins!
I promise, your family will have no idea they’re eating so many vegetables!
why you’ll love this vegan broccoli soup recipe
- It’s a 30 minute meal!
- Great for meal prepping
- Made with fresh ingredients
- Vegan broccoli soup is creamy and thick
- Easy cleanup
vegan broccoli cheese soup ingredients
- Red Potatoes
- Yellow Potatoes
- Red Bell Pepper
- Orange Bell Pepper
- Yellow Onion
- Vegetable Stock
- Kosher Salt
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Sweet Smoked Spanish Paprika
- Nutritional Yeast
how to make vegan broccoli soup
step 1: chop the veggies
Chop all of the vegetables into small pieces so they cook evenly. Reserve half of the broccoli. Set aside.
step 2: boil the vegetables
Add all of the veggies and half of the broccoli to a pot and cover with water. Boil until tender, about 20 minutes. Reserve one cup of boiling water.
step 3: steam the reserved broccoli
Steam the broccoli while everything else is boiling. I like to place a colander over my pot of boiling liquid and put the lid on.
step 4: blend
Place your spices and cashews in the bottom of your high powered blender.
Pour one cup of boiling water from your veggies in the blender with 3 cups of stock and all of the vegetables.
Blend on high for 1-2 minutes. It should turn to a lovely, thick creamy consistency.
vegan cheese broccoli soup expert tips
- If you don’t have a high power blender, you may need to soak the cashews at least three hours before making this broccoli soup recipe.
- If the vegan cheese broccoli soup is too thick, add a little more stock to thin.
- You may have to separate it into two separate blendings. To do so, you’ll need to blend 1/3 cup of cashews, 1/2 a cup of boiling liquid, 1 1/2 cups of stock, and roughly half of your veggies.
how do you serve vegan broccoli soup?
It’s great in a regular soup bowl with some steamed broccoli on top. It’s also great with crackers or inside of a bread bowl. Adding a garden salad and some warm bread is the finishing touch you need to complete the meal.
can you make creamy broccoli soup ahead of time?
Yes! The flavors in this vegan cheese broccoli soup blend together even more as it sits overnight. After the vegan broccoli soup has cooled down, place it in a sealed airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
how do you reheat soup?
Warm the vegan broccoli cheese soup in a saucepan on the stovetop using medium heat. Stir frequently so it doesn’t burn to the edges.
You can also microwave for 1-2 minutes, stir and repeat until it’s hot all the way through. Don’t forget to cover the bowl of soup with a kitchen towel when using the microwave so you don’t end up with a mess.
If you make this, please share with me on instagram! Use my hashtag #goingzerowaste. I love following along with your journeys!
- 4 Carrots
- 2 Red Potatoes
- 2 Yellow Potatoes
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Orange Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Yellow Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 2/3 Cup Cashews
- 3 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 Head of Broccoli, divided in half
- 1 Tablespoon Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Turmeric
- 1 Tablespoon Sweet Smoked Spanish Paprika
- 1 Tables Nutritional Yeast
- Chop all of the vegetables and reserve half of the broccoli.
- Boil veggies and half the broccoli for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Steam the rest of the broccoli while the vegetables are boiling.
- Add spices and cashews to a high powered blender.
- Pour 1 cup of the boiling vegetable water into the blender along with 3 cups of vegetable stock and all of the veggies.
- Blend for 1-2 minutes on high.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you don't have a high power blender, soak the cashews with cool water for 3 hours to soften them up.
You may have to separate this into two separate blendings. If you do, blend 1/3 cup of cashews, 1/2 a cup of boiling liquid, 1 1/2 cups of stock, and roughly half of your veggies.
- Add a little vegetable stock to the vegan cheese if it is too thick. It's best to add 1 tablespoon at a time and check it.